1/4/11

Change of heart.

Scratch that last bit: Change of direction may be a more suitable title.
I have decided that saving the world and making a difference is hard.  Really hard.  Even heading in the direction of making a difference that matters is hard.  Really hard.  What does it even mean, "make a difference"?  I've said it umpteen times.  Dozens of people I know have said it.  Don't we all end up making a difference, somehow someway?  Maybe the standards are set too high for what making a difference is.  Maybe I've set those standards too high on my own... what a tangled web I find myself in.

5.5 years.
Thousands of dollars in student loans (some forgiveness, a-thank you, Mr. Government)
Copious amounts of learning - history, political science, sociology.....
How can one expect to make a difference that "matters"?  Matters to who?  How much?

In light of all of this, I keep finding myself back at my first choice nearly six years ago.  Nursing.  Maybe physio, even.  It really does seem to be a smart career move, if nothing else.  Is a change in direction like this going to fare well for me?  Am I willing to accept defeat if I need yet another alternative? Oh, life.  Who welcomed you to the table.  Another year has ended, summer is around the corner.  And life is hitting me hard in the face.  Boourns to the max.  Just the worst.

1 comment:

  1. ooh, how much forgiveness? (for inquisitive, soon-to-be-in-the-same-situation students)

    I still believe my high-school mural painting... "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    Though mindful prodding of others is sometimes irresistible.

    :)

    ReplyDelete